Friday, October 31, 2014

Week 11 Essay: Assesing Alice in Wonderland

This week I read the unit Alice in Wonderland.

It was a good reprieve from the normal units that I have read in this class. This unit, instead of being a bunch of different units combined, was basically one continuous story. I enjoyed the character development that happened with Alice. You see her begin as a young and naive girl that doesn't think about her immediate actions. As she moves through the different chapters you begin to see her progress her thinking. The more "weird" things that she begins to see, the more desensitized she becomes to them.

I feel like this book serves as a way to comment on the progression of the close mindedness that society has come. I have been talking to my roommate recently about how different societies, lets say the Native Americans as an example, were a communal society. "It took a village to raise a child," to quote my roommate. We used to be a society with white picket fences where everyone knew their neighbor. Then the large grey fences with no holes started coming into view. As this continued through society, people began to know less and less about their neighbors.

(Privacy Fence: Flickr Doug Agassi)


In multiple chapters, Alice says multiple times that she had begun to come accustomed to the "weird" things that happens. From the Cheshire Cat vanishing, the baby turning into a pig, and the strange way that the different characters acted. I think that society has begun to reject what isn't defined as acceptable. Inherently, people have begun and continued to accept things about society that are "just the way it is."

I think this unit has made me reflect on some of the things that society has turned in to. I was surprised that I started to think about these things when reading a unit that is normally regarded as a children's story. I would definitely recommend this unit to others to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment