Friday, October 17, 2014

Week 9 Essay: Reviewing the Great Plains Unit

For week nine I choose the Great Plains Unit. I chose this unit because I am using one of the stories in my storybook. I am specifically using the first story called The Creation.

I am a big fan of Native American stories. I took a class called Native Peoples of North America which started my curiosity about different Native American cultures. That class is one of the reasons that I chose to do my storybook over Native American creation stories.

I really enjoyed the ghost stories in this unit. I was talking to one of my Native America friends about why this is the first unit that I have seen to include ghost stories. His input on the subject was that the Native American communities are so tight knit that they experience death more often than other communities. He was telling me that he has been to many more funerals than he has weddings or anything of that sort.

The explaining of phenomenon also intrigues my interest. The multiple stories about how corn came to the Native American people was really cool to read. There were all kinds of different explanations depending on the tribe.

(Corncobs: Wikipedia)

This unit was good at giving informative stories about a bunch of different tribes. That is one thing that I wish I had known before I chose the unit. For the next unit I will choose a specific tribe. I think that will give me a much more in depth learning experience. 

Overall I enjoyed this unit. I was happy to find that it included ghost stories, and a large amount of stories at that. I think the Native American relationship with the spirit world is a peculiar one. I would recommend people to read the Great Plains unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment