Friday, October 24, 2014

Week 10 Essay: Native American Humanization

I am a big fan of stories that explain real word phenomena in a fun and spiritual way. Native Americans are big on the belief of gods, spirits, and many other supernatural beings. The stories that they conjure up are both clever and really interesting.

This week I read the Tejas Legends unit, it consisted mostly of stories explaining why plants looked the way they did, why certain animals acted the way they did, or why there isn't a cold wind in the south. These stories have a supernatural presence in them, as well as humanizing items from nature around them. The relationship that Tejas tribe has with nature is definitely shown throughout the stories that are included in the unit. That relationship isn't shown in just this unit though. The unit I read last week, The Great Plains unit, they humanized many different animals such as the eagle or the elk in order to accomplish they goal of the story.

In The Cloud That Was Lost, the story humanizes a cloud that ends up losing its siblings and getting lost. After the cloud gets "lost," it travels a great distance searching. When the the day is almost done, the cloud begins to get tired and ends up sleeping in a flat land because it was so tired. Without actually saying it, I understood that part to be describing the reason that you see fog during dusk and the beginning of the day.

There are occasional times in which I take some time to appreciate nature around me. After reading these units I have begun to realize that nature does have a personality of its own. It really isn't so far fetched that the reason for fog in the mornings is that there is a certain cloud that isn't a morning cloud (just like myself) and it takes it a little bit longer in order for it to get back up into the sky.

(Fog: Wikipedia)

I have really enjoyed these last two units that I have read. They have given me a different outlook on nature and how everything really does come to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment