Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9 Reading Diary: Myth and Legends of the Great Plains

For week 9 I chose to do the Myth and Legends of the Great Plains.

The Creation story is one of my favorite stories in this unit. I am including this story in my storybook with the Elk telling the story from his point of view. I am excited to write that story.

The Sacred Pole sounds like it was the first creation of a totem pole. It doesn't ever specifically say that so I curious as if it is like a traditional totem pole. The tree that the create the pole out of reminds me of the tree that Prince Siddhartha sits under as he becomes the Buddha.

The Eagles Revenge was a cool story. I did not even consider that the man who was killing the people dancing could was the eagles brother. When I read the story I didn't feel that bad for the eagle because he was eating the deer that the hunter had caught.

I also really enjoyed the Three Ghost Stories. My roommate Jacob has a bunch of ghost stories that he tell time to time and these stories made me think of those. I especially liked the one about the tattoos that people needed in order to get on the correct path whenever they became ghosts.

I liked the story Wakanda, or Water God. It was a good to see a story tht depicts one of the Gods that the different tribes have. It was quite a sad story though. I honestly would have done the same thing as the father had done. Even if it was just to see my son one more time.

I always enjoy stories that explain phenomenon in real life. In the story Why the Possum Plays Dead we learned just that, why the possum plays dead. It was a nice seeing how they explain things.

The story How the Rabbit Killed the Giant reminded me of the Brer Rabbit stories. The rabbit that killed the giant was doing this deed for others which never really happened with the Brer Rabbit stories. It was nice to read about a trickster rabbit that helped others and not himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment