Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Week 14 Reading Diary: Lang's Fairy Tales I

This week I chose to read Lan's Fairy Tales I from The Brown Fairy Book.

The Master Cat, or Puss in Boots: This was an interesting story. Puss in Boots was a very clever character, giving his owner many great things. His owner didn't like him at first but Puss in Boots definitely proved him wrong.

The Dirty Shepherdess: The fact that the prince tried to find the only person's hand who would fit the ring reminded me of Cinderella a bit. The whole story is basically a small tweak of Cinderella, the princess has terrible parents, spends most of her life cleaning/shepherding, and the only identifying thing about her is the ring.

How the Dragon was Tricked: The story isn't just how a dragon was tricked. It is also about how a greedy king met his gruesome fate allowing the clever young man to have whatever he wanted. I think the story goes a little bit overboard with the way that the young man kills the dragon's wife.

The Young Man Who Would Have His Eyes Opened: This story is the definition of curiosity kills the cat combined with ignorance is bliss. The old wizard in the story even said that "Blindness is man's highest good." Saying that life is better not knowing some things.

Kisa the Cat: I did not expect the cat to be a princess. Part of me was also bummed that Kisa was only doing this good deed to break a curse and not out of the goodness of her cat heart. I understand that she would rather be a princess than a cat but still.

No comments:

Post a Comment