Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 13 Reading Dairy: Dante's Inferno

I chose to read Dante's Inferno this week. I have heard much about this book but have never seized an opportunity to read it.

Dante and Virgil: Learned about who Dante and Virgil where. Interested to see how Dante's trip goes.

The Gate of Hell and Charon: The idea of a ferryman for the dead reminds me of the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Limbo: It is unfortunate for the people who lived before the creation of the proper way to pray to God. They were given no chance to prove themselves and end up in a hopeless situation.

Poets and Philosophers, Heroes and Heroines: I like how Dante reacted to seeing all of the great people before his time. In todays society it would be like a young girl seeing Taylor Swift. In some ways that saddens me though.

Paolo and Francesca: I was confused about how Dante knew who the couple was. I am assuming it must have been a well known story throughout the land.

Cerberus and Plutos: I couldn't help but to think of the Cerberus character from the Disney Hercules movie when I read this story.

Fortune and Phlegyas: I did like Virgil's explanation of Mother Fortune. She is unpredictable and you will eventually lose. The picture that went along with the description was also a nice touch, showing that you can't always hang on to that wheel.

The Fallen Angels: I was confused as to why the fallen angels would not let them in.

The Furies and the Heretics: I didn't realize that Furies are deities specific to vengance. Now the notes at the beginning of this story makes more sense.

The Minotaur and the Centaurs: I had originally thought that Centaurs were half man half horse. It was good to see that someone was "willing" to help them.

The Harpies and Capaneus: I found it a little gruesome that the sinners in this story were stuck in what I understand to be boiling blood.

The Old Man of Crete and Geryon: I liked the idea that there was a statue somewhere in the world that fed water to the circles of hell. That stream also helps shape the geography of the circles of hell as well.

Descending of Geryon's Back: This was a really cool concept. I am sure that was a thrilling ride.

Jason and the Demons: To be honest when I first read the title of the story I thought about the Jason that comes from Camp Crystal Lake. I was surprised that it was so easy to get the demons to help them.

Caiaphas: Based on the notes, I assumed that the metal coats that the tribe was wearing was equivalent the lead that was coated on the victims of Emperor Frederick II. That would not be a pleasant way to die.

Ulysses and Diomede: I feel sad for the Ulysses' family that he took another trip around the world.

The Giants: I am not sure if the giant Nimrod mention in this story is the same Nimrod from the Noah unit at the beginning of the semester. He wasn't a giant, but I wonder if there is any correlation. Virgil also makes a comment about how one language still does not rule the world. That seems to reflect The Tower of Babel story where God mixes up the language of the people so they cannot complete the tower.

Ugolino: This story saddened me deeply. I would not wish that upon anyone.

Satan: I thought the way that Satan was described was quite interesting. I also thought that the inclusion of Brutus in one of Satan's mouth was fitting to his sins.









No comments:

Post a Comment