Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 2: Famous Last Words

This week has been a productive week for me. I feel like I have begun to get that hang of this blogging thing. I can see why some people like to do it so much. It is a nice way to just throw what you are thinking down on the "screen" so to speak. When I first started blogging for this class, I was a bit anxious as to what I should put down, and it would be hard for me to think of the "right" thing to say. Now that we have finished week two I feel like I am starting to catch my stride.

My best writing of this week has to be my story bout the Tower of Babel. I like how I put the perspective of the story in the hands of a person who lived in the city and saw first hand the atrocities that bred there. I feel like I can definitely polish this style of writing more. I always have my two roommates read my posts, so they can catch any proofreading mistakes I wasn't able to find. I feel like this helps round out my writing.

(Buddha with Rahula: Wikipedia)

I am a server at Cheddar's Casual Cafe. I was at work the other day and started a discussion with one of my coworkers about this class. I was talking about The Legend of Noah unit that I read for this week. We eventually started talking about a book that she had just finished reading about Buddha. I am looking to forward to reading the Jatakas and the life of Prince Siddhartha. My brother has also said good things about Buddhist fairy tales in general. Many of them have good themes intertwined in the stories that they pass down.

This next week I have decided to read the Jewish Fairy Tales instead of Saints and Animals. I chose this because it matches with the Legend of Noah reading I did this week. I enjoyed this reading a lot and figured that I should do the reading that matched the Legend of Noah.

5 comments:

  1. Seth, I just happened to see this post before signing off for the night, and I wanted to leave a comment to say THANK YOU. This all sounds so great - I am really glad you like the blogging, and the way you are making connections and sharing stories is really wonderful. I hope you will like the Jewish Fairy Tales - I worked through the unit this weekend to add the notes, and I think it is great stuff. And yes, Ginzberg was indeed one of the sources Landa used, plus other sources too. Enjoy!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I am right there with you on the whole 'blogging thing'. I was also extremely anxious and worried I wasn't doing it right. However, after a few weeks of doing this almost on a daily basis it has become easier and easier. In fact, I'm kind of jealous of those who are professional bloggers and get to partake in this for an actual career! I also read The Legend of Noah unit and the Prince Siddhartha unit! I greatly enjoyed both and I would recommend them to the whole class! I also found your idea of having your roommates proof read your posts before posting to be a great idea I have not thought of before! I will definitely start doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, Seth, I freaking love Cheddar's. It is delicious and I go there all the time. In fact, if you have a way to get me some discounted Texas Cheese Fries, I would be much obliged. Anyway, it's good to hear this week was productive, all though it was over a month ago, and I hope the rest of the semester is passing along in the same style. Keep up the great writing, and I look forward to reading more of your work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Seth, so like some of the others commenters on this post I remember absolutely feeling the anxiety you felt during the first week or two of this course. Blogging is not something that our generation grew up with and I think it is definitely going to take some time for the collective “us” to get used to the blogging platform. It is always nice to learn and experience new things and I think in my mind that is how I see this course. It is so different from the average course we are used to taking at the University and I sometimes find myself wondering if this is what the University is going to be like in twenty years from now! Quite an interesting thought, but you never know. Anyways, I hope all of your courses are going well and I hope you are enjoying your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seth, I couldn't agree with you more about blogging. I really had a tough time doing it correctly at the beginning of the semester. I was creating new blogs every time we had an assignment instead of creating new post!!! DUH!!! I was just telling another one of our classmates that while I enjoy blogging for the class, I don't think I'll continue to blog once the class is over. I just don't think it's something I would want to do on a personal level, of course I'm also that person that's not on FB that often either....

    I love the story of "The Tower of Babel." I love how it explains how we got so many different languages all over the world. I may have to go to your storytelling post on that and read it. I might also need to track the original down and read that again. Good luck for the rest of the semester!!!!!

    ReplyDelete