Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1: Exploring the Un-Textbook

As there were 100 different options it was difficult to whittle it down to just a few ones that I am interested in. So here is my list of units that I am quite curious about.

Week 2-3: As a kid, my parents never really pushed me to go to church or to tead the bible. As I have gotten older, I have started wanting to become more knowledgeable on things like the Legend of Noah, as well as the backgrounds on the lives of the many different Saints (Saints and Animals).

Week 4-5: I have always been and always will be a fan or riddles. One of my favorite beers is called Lionshead, mainly because underneath the bottle caps they have picture riddles for you to solve. That is why I would definitely like to read the Twenty-Two Goblins units. Similar to the idea of being more knowledgeable on bible subjects I would also like to be more versed in the life and teachings of Buddha. I am not sure which of the Jatakas I would like to read more at this point.

Week 6-7: To continue on the interest of riddles I would choose both the West African Folktales and the South African Stories. The idea of a trickster and the lessons one learns from dealing with those kinds make me curious to read them.

Week 8-9: I would also like to look at the Native American units. I am currently living with an old friend who is a full Kiowa who has all kinds of stories passed down through his family. I also took the introduction to Native Peoples of North America and was fascinated by their culture, which actually led me to purchase a couple of Navajo sand paintings. With that being said, for the first week I would choose the California-SW (Judson) unit since it has some Navajo stories. As for the second week I feel like I would enjoy any of the remaining units and have no earthly idea what I would choose.

Week 10-11: One of my favorite childhood movies is the animated version of Robin Hood. So I would definitely choose the Robin Hood Ballads. As for the second week, it is similar to that of week 8 and 9. I know a brief history/familiarity with the English Fairy Tales so choosing between the Looking-Glass, Alice in Wonderland, English Fairy Tales, and More English Fairy Tales will be a difficult decision.

Week 12-13: I am very interested in all of the Brothers Grimm units. I have heard about these quite often, since most of the well known stories of my childhood are based off of these writings, I am curious to see what is different between the modern day versions and the actual stories. Choosing just two of the four Grimm units will not be easy for me thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment