Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

The first story book that I looked at was I Am Not my Borther's Sister: A Changelings Journey. This one caught my eye because I have heard of changelings before, however, I know very little about them. The real reason I read the whole thing was how gripping the introduction. As soon as I started reading it I felt hooked like a fish on a line. The author immediately makes you sympathize for the person's whose point of view you are reading from. The only complaint I have for this story book is inability to go back to the home page. Unlike most of the other storybooks, the navigation for the storybook is found at the bottom of each story. It is as if you are turning a digital page to get to each new story. Where as the other story books, the navigation is always located in the upper left section of the page, and there is no real suggestion of order except to go from top to bottom.

The second story book that I looked at was Native American Tricksters. I chose this because of my interest of tricksters/riddlers in the story telling world. The introduction is extremely upbeat which gets you psyched up for the "trip" that the coyote takes you on. Sometimes it is struggle to read because of grammatical errors but those can be fixed easily. I do like how he changes up some of the story to make it feel less malicious and more trickish.

The last story book that I read was The Last of the Seapeople, and I have to say that the artwork that the author used was absolutely stunning. There is a ton of imagery in this story book that really paints the picture of what a merman is and where the setting is. The depth of the stories included in the book are deeply thought out which I really enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment