Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1 Storytelling: Simon's Simple Search

There once was a homeless man named Simon. He would frequent the main road through the town, meeting and greeting all who strolled through. One day there was a fair that held many excitements for the whole town to see.

Tall people, short people, big people, small people, Simon had never seen this many people come to his town. He said welcome to each one of them with open arms and a warm smile on his face. After saying hello, welcome, greetings, good day and every other known way to greet a person Simon hadn't realized how late the day became. As one of the last people were walking up to the town Simon's stomach startled to rumble with complaints of not having anything in it.

When that person finally reached a close distant, Simon could instantly smell what the man was carrying in his full rucksack. "PIE....." Simon thought to himself as a wry grin came upon his face. He quickly greeted the man in the most courteous way he could think of. Immediately afterward he inquired about the pie in the man's bag. "Is that pie for the fair? If so, I would surely like to taste your ware."


(Simon meeting the pie maker: Wikipedia)


The man responded, "Indeed it is, however, I need to see some penny." With that Simon's smile quickly faded as he was homeless and could not produce any... Simon thought quick and hard about how he could get some pie.

He though and thought, and then thought some more...Then an idea came to him quick, and he asked the pie man if he would trade for whale on a stick. So Simon went fishing hoping for a whale, until he realized "all the water he got was in his [own] pale"

Author's Note:

This nursery rhyme reminded me a lot of the homeless Chinese man that roams Norman. I have never actually met him but hear he is a very kindhearted man from many different people. I like to think that he is the Norman town greeter of sorts.

Bibliography:

Book: The Nursery Rhyme Book
Author: Unkown
Editor: Andrew Lang
Illustrator: L. Leslie Brooke
Year Published: 2008
Web Source: The Gutenberg Project

2 comments:

  1. Your story you wrote was very interesting to read! I thought your inspiration was quite unique! While I have not seen or rather noticed the old Chinese man around Norman, but now I will be more observant to try to find him! I enjoyed your graphics, in fact, the picture of the pie made me hungry for some! I found the adjective usage in your story allowed for the reader to visualize your story! I thought it was a well done story overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you chose to retell a nursery rhyme. I did that same and feel it allows an incredible amount of intellectual space for the creation of new themes and ideas. And thanks for using one of my favorite words, "wry." It's so short yet it captures how confusing English pronunciation is. (Forgive me for the linguistic aside; I love words.)

    ReplyDelete