Friday, September 26, 2014

Week 6 Essay: Assessing Brer Rabbit

This week I read the Brer Rabbit unit, it was very interesting unit, especially with the language that it was written in.

I would say that I both liked, and disliked the language that was used in the reading unit. It was difficult to get used to what exactly was being said, even while listening to the Librovox audio. While listening to the audio, it was easier to understand, but it was still a little confusing at times. The reason I did like the language was how it made the stories feel authentic in a way. The Librovox audios also included the interaction between Uncle Remus and Sally's son, which frames each story. That reminds me of being a kid and hearing stories from a family member much like what Uncle Remus is doing. Listening to the audio also allows you to really get a feel of how the language should truly be pronounced.

I really loved how each story is a game of wits between one character or another. Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Fox consistently have showdowns between each other. Another positive I liked, was the broad amount of characters which allows the many different interaction other than just Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Fox. Each character has their different assets as well. Like I have said a couple of times, this reading reminds me of the Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner, of course Bugs Bunny cartoons from when I was a child. Those shows will share a special place in my heart on Saturday mornings!

(Looney Tunes Cartoon: Wikipedia)

I really have no complaints over this reading. Like I said earlier, the language was a bit difficult to get used to but was did not take overly long to get comfortable with. I did struggle with the proverbs though, mainly because some of the definitions of the words that was used were unknown to me.

Overall it was an excellent reading unit.

2 comments:

  1. Seth, just to say that I am so glad you did this unit! The dialect is hard to read (I wish Julius Lester's versions of the stories were in the public domain, but they are copyrighted, alas - his versions are the best modernized/standardized English versions I have read)... anyway, I am glad you did this one because the back-and-forth between the Brer Rabbit stories and the Native American stories of the southeastern tribes is really profound! I bet you will notice some good connections as you do the reading for your Storybook. Recommendation for Week 9: read the Mississippi Valley stories - I think you would like them!
    Myths and Legends of the Mississippi Valley and the Great Lakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica Martin did this unit, too. It was really cool to read her side of things and I think it is really cool to get your perspective as well. I love these stories as I used to read them and watch Song of the South as a kid. I understand the difficulty of the language, but it really captures how the stories were told back in their time, and I think that is really important to hold on to. So, with all that said, I think it is awesome that you enjoyed these stories.

    ReplyDelete