Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 6 Reading Diary: Brer Rabbit

The language was very difficult to get used to in the Brer Rabbit unit.

I found myself either, speaking the stories out loud, or listening to the Librovox audio accompanied with the unit. The Librovox audio makes it much easier to understand what Uncle Remus is saying.

When I read The Wonderful Tar-Baby Story, the first thing that came to my mind, was me waking up on Saturday mornings and sitting in front of the television to watch the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons. It brought back a significant urge to watch some of those cartoons again.

I was a little shocked about how much detail of the death of Mr. Wolf was shown in The Awful Fate of Mr. Wolf. Needless to say he got his just desserts though. I like how pretty much every story is a battle of the wits between the characters.

I really enjoyed Old Mr. Rabbit, He's a Good Fisherman. It is one of those perfect cons that Mr. Rabbit thinks up when he gets himself in a crappy situation from being lazy. Mr. Fox, is still just as gullible as ever.

Another great one was Mr. Terrapin Shows His Strength. He pulls one over on everyone, including Mr. Rabbit, and makes them believe that he is stronger than Mr. Bear and Mr. Fox combined. Which is a pretty big feat! So this Mr. Terrapin showed that he is stronger than a bear and quicker than a rabbit. That is one pretty talented turtle.

I was actually surprised that this unit mentioned the Legend of Noah, in The Story of the Deluge. This story has a different description as to how the earth was flooded. I thought it was funny that it was the crawfish that ended up creating the great flood.

The Plantation Proverbs were both interesting and confusing. I thought it was a cool little reading but some of them were difficult to understand. When I listened to the Librovox Audio it was a little confusing because part of it didn't match up to the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment