Thursday, September 4, 2014

Week 3 Essay: Assessing the Jewish Fairy Tales

I have really enjoyed the readings that I have chosen for the last two weeks. This unit is different because it is mainly fairy tales, where as the Legend of Noah is more of a history of the major events that came about in Noah's life.

One of my favorite movies from this reading was The Rabbi's Bogey Man. I have an Aunt named Carol and her daughter, my cousin, named Amber that lives in Shreveport, Louisiana. Amber is a couple years older than me and my brother. My mother, my brother, and myself have been in an argument with Aunt Carol and Amber for years and years. That argument happens to be about which of our mothers is the "Bogey Momma." It was interesting to read that the first contraption that the Rabbi made was in fact a "Bogey Momma." Plus, I never really knew the story behind the Bogey Man.

Since the unit about Noah didn't contain any notes I was happy to see that the Jewish Fairy Tales unit did. The notes at the beginning of each story were very helpful. I actually did some more research into the Wikipedia page about the golem creature from other Jewish stories. The notes are a nice way to bet some background information about a certain aspect of the story.

The only thing I didn't like about this unit was the fact that it did not have the Librovox Audio. I used that for the Legend of Noah unit and really enjoyed it. In some of the stories it helped to pronounce the names right, and was nice to not have to look at a screen the whole time.

Overall It was a good unit. I was glad that I chose to match the legend of Noah unit and not do another completely random one. Like I said above, the only thing that I would change would be to add audio to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment